We will celebrate Earth Day 2021 on Thursday, April 22nd. Take this opportunity to teach your children about how and why we need to protect our planet – on Earth Day and every day! We’ve come up with some fun activities to help you and your children get outside and help - from planting a garden to cleaning up to just enjoying the outdoors!
1) Nature Scavenger Hunt - Create a list of things you’d find outside and go on a hunt to find them in your neighborhood or local park!
2) Neighborhood Cleanup - Grab a compostable bag, put on some protective gloves, and take a walk around your neighborhood and pickup some trash! Maybe even make it a competition for who can fill their bag the fastest!
3) Start a garden - Plant flowers, herbs or veggies in a garden or pot.
4) Take a bike ride or go for a hike - Enjoy time outside together.
5) Pinecone bird feeders - Create an eco-friendly bird feeder. Instructions and recipe below and from runwildmychild.com.
6) Pinecone bird feeder ingredients
To make these feeders, you will need the following:
Pinecones—whatever size and shape you can find
1 cup peanut butter
2 T shortening or butter
2-3 cups birdseed
Pinecone bird feeder instructions
Tie 6-8 inches of string to the tip of each pinecone.
Melt your peanut butter and butter together until runny. If it’s too hot for little fingers, allow it to cool slightly.
Dip your pinecones in the mixture until they are completely covered.
Roll the pinecones thoroughly in birdseed.
Hang in nearby trees and bushes.
We hope you enjoy spending time outdoors together!